Insulation & Frozen Pipe Maintenance
Our community is known for its history, and with that comes older houses. These houses may be old, but each one is beautiful and unique. Still, there are downsides to owning these brilliant homes. For one, you may encounter many plumbing issues such as corrosion and leaky pipes. You may also notice that you have little to no insulation in the areas surrounding your pipes. This can leave them vulnerable to cold damage, especially as it can get extremely cold during the winter. Anyone who’s ever experienced a northern New Jersey winter will confirm this. Fortunately, New Jersey-ans are seasoned veterans to the frigid cold. So you can understand why it’s so important to schedule yearly maintenance and keep up with preventive maintenance.
Insulation & Frozen Pipe Maintenance and Preventives
Most homeowners can handle a measure of Insulation & Frozen Pipe Maintenance. You may find the following tips helpful:
- Drip your faucets very slowly at night. This will help keep water constantly flowing through your pipes which may keep them from freezing and bursting.
- Keeping your garage doors closed will help maintain a warmer temperature inside. This helps to prevent your supply lines from freezing up.
- Opening your cabinet doors in your kitchen and bathroom will also help maintain a warmer temperature.
What to Do If Your Pipes Freeze
Not all frozen pipes burst, but when they do, the damage can be costly. Pipes burst because water expands when it’s frozen. That pressure can make even the tiniest crack turn into the biggest problem.
You can try to do a few things to remedy a frozen pipe that hasn’t yet burst:
- Locate the source of the freeze. Don’t bother wasting your time trying to find the source if you’re going at it completely blind.
- Apply some sort of heat source such as a space heater, electric heating pad, or hair dryer. This will quickly thaw the ice that is built up in the lines. But do not use any extreme heat sources. Intense measures like blow torches, propane heaters, or charcoal ovens may cause more harm than it’s worth.
- Turn on the faucet. As the ice starts to melt, the running water will start to melt more of the ice away. Hard to believe, but cold as the water may be, it does help continue the melting process.
- Finally, call Eco Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning to inspect and repair any damage that the ice may have caused.
Unfortunately, however, if the pipe is broken there’s not much you can do yourself. In that case, the best solution is to turn your water off immediately and give us a call. Eco Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning is fully equipped to handle any frozen pipe catastrophe.
We’re One Call Away for Insulation & Frozen Pipe Maintenance
It’s always smart to take extra measures to keep you and your home safe. Your family’s safety and well being are our main concern. So we hope that if any of these problems arise, you won’t hesitate to give us a call.
You will get the proper maintenance at the right cost to you. We even have a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. We aren’t finished until you’re completely satisfied with our work.
Our technicians will always be punctual and professional to help continue to achieve that satisfaction.